Step-by-Step Guide for Field Trial and Hunt Test Secretaries
Taking on the Field Trial Secretary job can be a daunting task, especially if you have never done this before. Following these steps should guide you through the process and ensure the required forms are filled out at the proper times.
1. Prioity Date Application: Some clubs apply for priority dates to reserve their event dates for 5 years. This is not mandatory. Prioity Date Application http://www.ckc.ca/en/Files/Forms/Shows-Trials/Club-Forms/Priority-Date-Application-Form-No-151-09-77
2. Event Date Application: An Event Date Application must be submitted 180 days prior to the event. Even if your Priority Dates have been approved, you must complete the Event Date Application each year. An separate application should be submitted for each day, listing the stakes held that day. Event Date Application http://www.ckc.ca/en/Files/Forms/Shows-Trials/Event-and-Judges-Applications/Event-Date-Application-Trials-Tests-Form-No-151
3. Judging Panel Application: Your proposed judges should be submitted with the Event Date Application. Judging Panel Application http://www.ckc.ca/en/Files/Forms/Shows-Trials/Event-and-Judges-Applications/Judging-Panel-Application-Specialty-Conformation-S
4. Once you have received CKC approval for dates and judges, you should send a copy of the CKC Judges Panel Letter of Approval to each judge, confirming their judging assignment.
5. Prepare the Premium List with the following information (excerpt from CKC Rules and Regulations)
- A standard premium list must be published by all clubs holding Retriever field trials under these rules. A club which has been granted permission to hold a trial, and has received approval of its selected judges, must prepare and have printed a premium list with entry forms to be made available to prospective entrants.
- Premium list and entry forms shall be such size, in such form and contain such information as prescribed by the CKC.The following information must be listed on the cover (or first inside page, excluding the inside cover) of the premium list:
(a) The words “Official Premium List”
(b) The name of the club or organization holding the event
(c) Type of event being held
(d) Dates of the events and starting times
(e) Date and closing time for entries. No entries may be accepted, altered, cancelled or substituted after the official closing date and time for entries except as provided for in these rules.
(f) A statement setting forth the time, date and exact place at which draw will take place.
- The following information must appear in a premium list:
(a) Exact location of the event (may include a map showing the location of the site
(b) The statement “These events held under the rules of The Canadian Kennel Club”
(c) A list of the club officers (address may be given if desired)
(d) A list of the Field Trial Committee including the FieldTrial Chairman
(e) The address and phone number of where entries are to be sent (if different from the Event Secretary)
(f) A statement as to where entries are to be sent
(g) A listing of the judges and their mailing address
(h) A complete list of the judge’s assignments broken down for each day
(i) A list of awards and prizes (if offered)
(j) The amount of entry fee for each stake
(k) The name of the Chief Executive Officer of The Canadian Kennel Club and the address of the Head Office. This information is found at http://www.ckc.ca/en/About-the-CKC/CKC-Management.
(l) The name, address and telephone number of the CKC Board Member http://www.ckc.ca/en/About-the-CKC/CKC-Board-of-Directors and the CKC Retriever Council Representative for the zone in which the trial will be held. http://www.ckc.ca/en/Files/Board-Committees-Councils/2015-2017-Retriever-FT-Council.aspx
(m) A statement as to the stake or stakes that will be provided
(n) A statement as to how the running order will be decided
(o) Such other general information as the trial-giving club deems advisable. Where such additional information is in the form of a rule governing the trial, care should be taken to ensure that the rule does not contravene any CKC field trial rule or regulation
(p) The statement “A listing fee as established by The Canadian Kennel Club must accompany the entry of a dog for which a Canadian Kennel Club individual registration number or Event Registration Number (ERN) is not shown on the entry form
(q) Type of game to be used in each stake
(r) At least one copy of an official entry form with the CKC logo
(s) A statement to include the wording of section regarding indignities
- At the time of distribution to prospective entrants, copies of the premium list must be sent to The Canadian Kennel Club and one copy each to the Retriever Representative and Board Member representing the zone in which the trial is to be held.
- Clubs are free to include other rules and regulations as they deem necessary. However, if other rules are included, they become part of the premium list and will be enforced.
- The trial secretary shall assume the responsibility of collecting all listing fees for the CKC, which shall be stated in the premium list.
6. Field Trial Placement Report: Print copies of this form for each stake and take them to the Field Trial, When completed, the judges must sign them. Field Trial Placement Report http://www.ckc.ca/en/Files/Forms/Shows-Trials/Event-Supplies/Retriever-Field-Trial/Field-Trial-Placement-Report-Form-No-151-13-70
Hunt Test Evaluation Form http://www.ckc.ca/en/Files/Forms/Shows-Trials/Event-Supplies/Retriever-Hunt-Test/Hunt-Test-Evaluation-Form-Form-No-152-22-71
Official Complaint Form: Official Complaint Form: Print these forms and take them to the event so you have it if needed.
7. Statement of Event Fees: You will need to complete and send a copy of this form for each event to the CKC. You will receive an Event Number for each event with your CKC approval. Statement of Event Fees http://www.ckc.ca/en/Files/Forms/Shows-Trials/Event-Fees/Statement-of-Event-Fees-February-1-to-December-31
Using the Retriever Results Administrative & Results system
The Retriever Results data entry system allows you to:
- Define your field trial stakes
- Enter dogs in the stakes
- Create running orders
- Export data to create your catalogue and callback sheets
- Report results
1. Create a working folder on your computer in which to save all your files. I suggest LFT. I will refer to LFT folder throughout the rest of the instructions
2. Go to www.retrieverresults.com/cdnreporting and login using your email address and password ft@nrcc.
3. Only events that you are listed as the FT Secretary will appear. Note: Instructions appear at the top of every page to assist you in navigation.
4. Click on the Edit event information icon to verify that the stakes and dates correspond to your event. Edit as necessary.
5. Click Save at the bottom of the page to return to the List of Events page.
1. From the List of Events page, click on the paw icon to Add dogs to this event.
2. Begin typing the dog's name. If the dog exists in the database you can select it.
3. If needed, add titles that appear on entry form.
4. Select the stakes that the dog is entering.
5. Verify pre-populated fields and fill in missing data using the entry form
6. Click Next: Add handlers
7. Type the name of the handler for each stake and most importantly, indicate if they are a P=Pro or A=Amateur.
8. Depending on what you want to do, either Click Save and Add another dog, or Save and Return to the List of Dogs at the bottom of the page.
9. Dogs can also be added from the List of Dogs, Handlers, Results page by clicking on Add Dogs, found above the table.
Setting your running order
1. From the List of Dogs, Handlers, Results page, select the stake you want to create or regenerate the running order.
2. Click on the Create/Regenerate Running Order command found above the table. This can be redone if you wish to change.
3. Click Save at the bottom of the page.
Exporting the data to create your catalog and callback sheets.
1. From the List of Dogs, Handlers, Results page, select the stake you want to export data.
2. Click on the Export, found above the table.
3. You will be prompted to Open, Save or Cancel. Choose Open.
4. The file should open in MS Excel.
5. Select Save As - Excel 97-203 Workbook.
6. Browse to find your LFT folder you created so you can save the file to that folder. Use the default name, for example Op1.xls. You will need to do this for each stake.
Important: If you need to enter a dog after you have posted your running order, DO NOT click Create/Regenerate Running Order. Simply add the dog to the stake and manually type the Running Order number for that dog. You can then click RunOrder in the Header row to sort the list numerically. You will need to re-Export the stake for your catalog. If you click Create/Regenerate Running Order, you will scramble the published Running Order.
Creating your catalog and callback sheets
Three template files have been created for you to use to create your catalog, catalog pages, callback pages / marshal's sheets. They can be found on the NRCC website on the Forms page under Official Business. Using the templates provided is just a convenience to make production of your catalog easier. You can choose to use your own customized files and you may also opt not to create callback pages / marshal's sheets and just produce your catalog.
1. Go to the NRCC website Official Business/Download Forms, click on each template file (Catalog.doc, stake.doc, stake-callbacks.doc) and choose Save.
2. When download is complete, click Open.
3. Click Save As Word 97-2003 Document and browse to place the file into your LFT folder.
4. When all template files have been saved to your LFT folder, Browse to and Open your LFT folder.
5. Double click on Stake.doc to Open.
6. Select the Mailings tab, then Start Mail Merge - Step-by-step Mail Merge Wizard.
7. Next the Mail Merge Dialog box will appear. Select Browse to associate your Word file with your Excel file
8. Open your LFT folder in the left hand column. Select the Excel file you want to merge to ie. Op1.xls and click Open.
9. Click OK in the next 2 dialog boxes that open.
10. Your file will open with a lot of text that probably doesn't mean much to you.
11. Select the Mailings tab if you aren't already there, and click Preview Results. You will now see the entries for Open 1 if that is the stake you are creating catalog pages for.
12. Double click in the Header and type the stake Name and Date, as indicated.
13. Review Dog Names and reduce the font size if text wraps to a 2nd line. Delete any blank records. Be careful not to delete more lines than are necessary.
14. Click Save As Word 97-2003 Document with the name of the stake you are processing ie. Op1.doc.
15. Close the file.
16. Repeat steps 3 through 13 with Stake Callbacks.doc remembering to include the word callbacks in the file name for each stake.
17. After you have exported all of your stakes to Excel files in the LFT folder on your computer, you are now ready to create the remainder of your catalog pages, callback pages / marshal's sheets.
18. Repeat steps 3 through 13 with Stake Callbacks.doc remembering to include the word callbacks in the file name for each stake.
Assembling your catalog
There are a number of ways to assemble your catalog.
- If you have Adobe Acrobat Professional (not Reader) you can create PDF files from each of the stake Word files and assemble them using Adobe Acrobat
- You can print each Word file individually and assemble hardcopies
- You can assemble all of the individual Word files into one Word file, create a PDF and print the entire catalog. This is the most complicated process and requires some expertise in Word to deal with changing between 1 to 2 column pages, and section specific Headers. If you opt to assemble all of your files into 1 Word file, Catalog.doc gives you a starting point.
- You will need to disassociate each stake specific Word file from it's stake Excel file.
- Open one file at a time and type (Ctrl+Shift+F9)
- Save As with a new name, such as Final Op1.doc etc. and Close file.
- Repeat for each stake.
- With the Catalog file already open, you are now ready to assemble your files. Open each stake file in the order you want it to appear in your catalog.
- Type (Ctrl+A) to select all and Copy.
- Go to the end of the Catalog file and Select Paste Special.
- In the Paste Special Dialog box, select Formatted Text (RTF)
- Click OK.
- Save your file
- Repeat steps 5 to 10.
Posting running orders to NRCC forum
Don't forget you need to post the running orders before close of day for the TSX used to determine rotation for your trial.
1. Go to the NRCC website and click on Field Trials/Running Orders from the left side menu.
2. Follow the Forum instructions to post Running Orders.
1. From the List of Events page, click on your club name. This will take you to the List of Dogs, Handlers, Results page.
2. Select the stake for which you want to report results.
3. The Results column at the right side, allows you to Select 1, 2, 3, 4, RCM, CM, SCR (Scratch), or DNF (Did Not Finish). DNF is the default. Don’t forget to click Save at the bottom of the page.
4. Send a quick email to email@example.com to let us know it's done, so your results can be posted on the NRCC and Retriever Results websites. You no longer need to complete the NRCC placings form, send a marked catalog, or the National Qualifiers form to the NRCC.
Immediately following your event
Send to CKC within 21 days:
- completed and signed Field Trial Placement (Hunt Test Evaluation) form for each stake,
- completed and signed Statement of Event Fees for each event
- cheque to the CKC
- all entry forms
- 1 marked and 1 unmarked catalogue
Send to NRCC (Hunt Tests Only):